Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Tornado Season

I babysit two awesome kids one afternoon a week. Usually it goes smoothly and last Thursday seemed to be on track. Three of the four were napping and David and I were just hanging out. It had been a strange weather day, rain, then sun, thunderstorms etc. Just then it got very dark, the wind was blowing, and began to hail. I am a weather wimp. I think if this weather had happened at my parents house in NY I would have thought "wow, crazy storm".

BUT, I live where there are tornado's.
I don't know much about them.
I have never seen one.
I hope I never do see one.
**FYI**
we have loud speakers all over town for tornado warning sirens


Back to the Story

While I was trying to remain calm about the crazy wind, hail, and darkness, someone began speaking over the tornado siren speakers. I have only heard the practice sirens, and I have never heard someone speaking on it! I didn't know what it meant. There was not a siren, but because of the hail and wind I could not understand what he was saying.
I was officially freaked.
My mind was racing, do I wake all the babies and go to the basement? I called Lauren. She has lived here a while and knows about weather. She was so nonchalant. She said "let me turn on the TV and see what they are saying"
I was thinking "we could be dying it could be coming right now!" I woke up Quint and Russell, I figured then I would only have to grab one baby if it was bad. It seemed like forever, but Lauren said it was just a Tornado Watch so not to worry unless we hear the sirens. Oh sure....don't worry. I am sure they will spot it in time, turn on the sirens so we have time to go to the basement......

Ultimitely, it was fine. We did delay our trip to Sam's club till the next day because even our local friends said it is best not to drive around in such volatile weather.
I know I am excessively dramatic, but after what just happened in Oklahoma....and has happened very near to where we live in the past.....I like to lean to the side of caution...or drama....however you want to describe it.

1 comment:

Andrea G. said...

It was a crazy day! I still couldn't believe I never heard the speakers on my side of town! Praise the Lord it didn't turn into something bad!