Saturday, July 12, 2008

Suckers for propaganda

Today a package arrived for BK. It was from the Iowa National Guard. He was working so I opened it. The typical recruitment paraphernalia, free shirt, pens, pamphlets, and a DVD. I waited till BK got home to watch the DVD. BK was stoked about the shirt and pens but we were both eager to watch the DVD. We popped it in and were immediately sucked in by the cool helicopters, tanks and guns. They made doctors look very cool. Doing surgery in airplanes or back of trucks. Learning to shoot guns, and wearing camouflage. BK was so excited he said "I can shoot people and then fix them!" I don't really think it works like that, but he was over the moon. The guns and tanks part made me nervous, but it was very BK. The part that really got to me was the service to country, the pride of being a soldier (or soldier's wife). They even showed the 9/11 towers being blown up! By the end BK and I were like sign us up! Good thing the recruiter was not there with papers. We need to make sure we avoid the propaganda when making such a big life decision.
I am pretty certain we are headed to the National Guard. It is very BK and he is excited. We'll see how it works out, but the idea of no deployment, a lot of compensation and oh yeah service to country sounds good to me.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oooh, national guards- fun! Where are there stations? Just curious.