Friday, July 11, 2008

Car seats may save my kids but they are killing me!


Car seats have always been a thorn in my side. Initially dad picked up an infant car seat at a garage sale and we figured that would work great. At the time we were headed to Boston and did not own a car. I can probably count on two hands how many times we used it for Quint. Around 6 months Quint was outgrowing it and we were on a VERY tight budget so I found a larger seat for 8 dollars. A few weeks later I was doing some research and realized it was missing the overhead bar! Well, we were financially strapped at the time. BK was working at the BB gun factory and we had no wiggle room. I did not make a fuss, just prayed he would be ok in the car. Once we fixed the finances I negotiated a nice used Britax car seat off Craigslist for $50. I was so relieved because now Quint was in a safe seat. I was still on the hunt because I knew we would need one for Russell. BK got a free one from a guy at work, but as I was cleaning it I realized it expired in 2005. Well, everyone thinks it is ridiculous that a seat expires but it gave me a lot of mom guilt. So, to recap we have four seats now, but I was still hoping to get a safe one for Quint when Russell moves over to the Britax.
Even though everyone thought it was ridiculous I found a car seat boaster that goes from 22-80 pounds and had great reviews. The best part was it cost $50 new! Well, BK still thought it was too much. My mom guilt was overpowering me. Mom and I were at Target and we tested it out and she bought it as the baby gift! I was so relieved. Now I have the three seats I need. Infant, Britax and Booster! I think this car seat thing is a bit ridiculous but the mom guilt is very intense if you don't follow the recommendations. I am very grateful to mom for relieving my stress. Here is a picture of Quint and Grandma with the new seat:) I am sure that something new will stress me out, but at least for now it is not car safety.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

how did we all survive our childhoods without over the head restraints in our car seats! :) I know - I am sure it'll matter to me when their mine...