Thursday, November 3, 2011

The best farm experience ever






We have never seen a cow eat a pumpkin!
They seemed to love it:)


We did the corn maze.
Quint led the way:)
He even wanted to pull Rhett.



I have been looking for a way to play on hay bales, and we found it!
The big boys, Daddy and Papa ran all over them:)  


Rhett was loving the farm, so much to check out.  He is super into pointing and verbalizing but not much we can make out yet:) 


We were nearly done with all the activites, when I spotted a combine down the dirt road a bit.
I have been on the hunt to get up close to a combine since the boys love them.
We see them all the time out harvesting in the fields but I have not found a farmer friend to show us one up close. 
Just as I was debating going to check it out, 
a guy approached the combine with some tools. 
I was so jazzed, 
could it be someone who would let us touch it, and check it out.

I was that mother, 
"excuse me can we check out the combine? My boys love them and we have never seen one up close...."

He chuckled, 
"sure, its a super old one, and it just broke down so I am working on it"

Turns out he was the real farmer, he owned the farm!
He told us about the combine, how it is 30 years old but he just bought it for 
$3500 dollars.
He said new ones are like 300,000 and he prefers to work on the old ones to save the money, since you only harvest one month a year.
(BK was jazzed about that, to think you could own a combine for $3500....
oh gees, what are we going to do with a combine:)

There a is small part of BK and I that think raising our men on a farm would be great, but we are not ready to commit. 

Mainly because it is actually very expensive, 
we know nothing about farms,
and I don't like bugs.


He was so kind, talk to us for quite a while about how he got into farming, about the farm crisis in the 80's....(which I just learn about from a friend so I felt knowledgeable thanks Suzy!) He shared some insight to the farm industry, and I was amazed.  A few weeks ago there was a theme to the Hawkeye game (ANF)  for all of you like me....
it stands for America Needs Farmers.  
I am totally a believer.  

It was an awesome experience.  
We HIGHLY recommend Kroul Farms
and it is FREE!!!



Learning about the combine and farming, and Grammy giving the boys a closer look:)







He even let us climb up the ladder:)



No comments: