Sunday, April 8, 2012

A MOMENT: In the tree

At the park with friends, 
on a perfect spring day...
when...
 I looked over to scan for the boys when I realized Quint and Russell were climbing a very large tree. 
 It was a great climbing tree (lots of branches) but my anxious instinct was 
DANGER.  
I withheld my feelings and walked over to check it out. 
 I would expect this from Russell, but it was rare for Quint. 
 Russell was hanging out on the lower branches so I was not that concerned but Quint had ventured up fairly high. 
 Quint hollered down from the tree tops "Mom, look how high I am!" 
 He was beaming with pride.  
My typically overly cautious first born was free in the tree tops.  
 My anxiousness faded away and I began to beam with pride. 
 He was stretching himself:)   
Then, another little boy began to climb higher than him....and I watched Quint's competitive spirit kick in....
I could tell he was a little afraid (he was a good 20 feet up)  
but he would not let the other boy get higher than him.  
Love it.
I realize competitiveness is not always a good thing, 
but I am a big fan when it drives people to reach for their potential:) 
When he eventually came down he was so proud, and I was super proud of my cautious man scaling new limits....
literally:)  

No comments: