Monday, February 9, 2009

I used to think: will I survive raising boys, now I wonder will they survive me?

When I delivered Quint the nurses joked that I would need to move next door to the hospital when I have the next one because they anticipated a fast labor. Well, Russell took his time, but I am starting to believe we should move closer to the hospital so I can keep my boys alive!
Sometimes in parenting I just want to lie on the floor and cry because they are getting the best of me, but recently, I want to cry because I worry how are they going to survive me as a mother! Don't get me wrong, I love the gift of being a full time mom, but with any challenge there is going to be ups and downs. Hopefully I will be a pro-momma in the near future, but right now I feel like a novice.
First, while I was changing Russell, Quint spilled/drank all the allergy medicine. I was freaking out, because some went down the drain so it was hard to decipher how much (if any) he ingested. Just so you know, a boy around 30 pounds can drink about half the bottle and be fine.
Second, I tried to go to Target which is always an adventure, but Russell leaned out of the stroller, slipped out and fell on his head. I was freaking out again. Picked him up to sooth him, and then thought oh my gosh what if i paralyzed him! We left Target (without the milk we desperately needed) and drove straight to the doctor. They almost laughed, and reassured me that it happens and just be glad it wasn't a flight of stairs. (I didn't tell them that happened to Quint last winter, luckily it was only to the landing and he bounced well).
Most recently, an ear infection for Russell and Quint and I were in the ER last night for a terrible fever and cough. I should have called earlier but I thought he was turning a corner till his temp was 103 degrees. Turns out he will be fine but I was freaking again.
What really worries me is they are only 2 years and 7 months, can they really survive me till 18. Better start praying for protection now!
Please don't call social services.

No comments: